United States immigration and customs laws prohibit foreign nationals from coming into the United States to work. However, there are exceptions to this rule if a person can obtain an employment visa. These visas specifically allow a person and their family to move to the United States for a job. This job must be specific, and applicants must provide details concerning the job when filing their applications. Additionally, these visas may be either permanent or temporary.

A Minnesota employment visa lawyer could help companies and individuals meet their employment needs by pursuing visas. A knowledgeable immigration lawyer could help evaluate a company’s needs and determine which visa program could help meet their staffing or investment needs.

Visas that Fill Specific Roles in a Bloomington Company

Many American companies struggle find workers who fit their needs. This often occurs in technology or scientific research fields. While American companies have a duty to seek workers in the United States to fill these jobs, this is often impossible.

These companies may seek workers from foreign nations through the H1-B visa program. Here, a business sponsors a worker’s application to live and work in the United States. To qualify, the worker must possess an advanced degree in the field of work, and the employer must be able to demonstrate a lack of qualified American candidates. A Bloomington employment visa lawyer could help evaluate a company’s ability to bring workers in under the H1-B program.

Pursuing Visas as an Investor or Trader

The E-1 and E-2 visa programs allow international traders and foreign investors to gain temporary permission to come to the United States. To qualify for these visas, the foreign national needs to prove they conduct more than 50 percent of their trade between their home country and the United States. For investors, this means proving they already have at least $100,000 invested or planned to be invested into an American company. A Bloomington employment visa lawyer could help these people apply while in their home countries or while already legally in the United States.

Employment Visas for Permanent Residence

Most employment visas are temporary. This means that, when the visa expires, a person must either apply for an extension or return home. However, a class of employment visas exists that allows a person and their family to move permanently to the U.S.

These are the EB visas which are preference-based visas that only go to applicants of extraordinary skill, talent, or achievement. Normally, a person needs to demonstrate excellence in their field, the receipt of a significant award, or substantial academic accolades to qualify. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues only around 140,000 of these each year. A Bloomington employment visa lawyer could a person explore the possibility of applying for a permanent employment visa.

Consult a Minnesota Employment Visa Attorney

A Minnesota employment visa attorney could help to answer all your questions and concerns about the application process. They can evaluate your specific situation to determine which employment visa is right for you. They can also work with companies to assess their needs for foreign workers or investment that requires employment visas. Contact a Bloomington employment visa attorney today to see how they might be able to help you.